[LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Sep 20 16:42:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-09-20 at 09:30 -0700, J. Liles wrote:
> Aside from adding copyright lines to files that weren't actually
> changed, what was done here that is in any way offensive?

And aside from the name, that IMO could be considered as to close to the
original name. I guess that this aren't issues, just mistakes without an
evil intend.

While it's not needed to contact the original coder/coders, he might
have done it and the mail just didn't came through to Fons.

Adding a note "changed by" or what ever Fons expected instead of a
copyright is absurd.

And IIUC those two forks more or less are one fork. The whole point is,
that if Fons won't hear about less good contributions to his code,
because he considers himself as the cook, than they should be allowed to
fork it, this is he idea of the GPL. It's grotesque to be surprised, at
least a mistake to chose this license, if it's unwanted.