[LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 16:30:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 09:04:30AM -0700, J. Liles wrote:
>
> > I'm sure Fons thinks Aeolus is perfect because it meets his own needs
>
> On the contrary. I think it is very imperfect. It is, as everything,
> a compromise.

Then what is the problem with someone taking a shot at making it more
perfect (from their perspective)? If the guy just silently created a fork
as you say, then how is that like one walking up to a world-class chef and
telling him the lamb was too dry? Aside from adding copyright lines to
files that weren't actually changed, what was done here that is in any way
offensive?

I want you to keep releasing your software under the GPL because I use and
enjoy it. With a different license, it would become just another thing not
worth wasting my time on (I require the rights to change and redistribute
all the software I use).  Your programs are very good, but anything can be
improved and it shouldn't always have to be you who does it. If someone
wants to tinker with your baby, let them. It's OK, you have backups.