[LAD] New kid on the block

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Thu Apr 10 18:10:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 20:47 +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
[...]
> Also - and I don't know if this is actually a realistic situation - how would I
> handle an all alsa setup? Would there be anything preventing me just linking to
> the ring buffer itself?

It's just a ringbuffer, little thing.  If you're concerned about a
dependency you can just copy the Jack one or choose from any number of
others floating around the web.

Here's my two, in C and C++ flavours, FWIW:

http://svn.drobilla.net/zix/trunk/zix/ring.h
http://svn.drobilla.net/zix/trunk/zix/ring.c

http://svn.drobilla.net/lad/trunk/raul/raul/RingBuffer.hpp

Last I checked, these, the Jack one, and the one(s) in Ardour are doing
the same things as far as barriers and correctness are concerned.  I
can't rigorously claim they are correct, but they seem correctish and
several people have hammered on them with many threads with no
observable error.

There was a test suite / ringbuffer shootout (by Olivier Guilyardi and
subsequently tinkered with by others) called "rbtest", but the
repository seems to have fallen off the face of the Internet and I can't
find it anymore.

Cheers,

--
dr