[LAD] Half-OT: Fader mapping - was - Ardour MIDI tracer

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 21 10:39:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-08-21 at 09:14 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> One result of that is sessions with lots of plugins in each and every
> track, usually a clear sign of amateurism.

That is a topic for me on several mailing lists since over a week now.
Software mixers provided for Linux user space often are bad designed, so
beginners who never have used a real analog mixing console hardly have a
chance even to learn by trail and error. IMO each channel by default
should provide your (Fons') parametric EQ and post fader aux sends. If
people start mixer automation for the fist time, a notification should
pop up and mention, that:

> Fades are rare in music mixing

Flying faders in professional music studios usually are used to restore
sessions and to make funny videos for YouTube, but during audio
productions there seldom is the need to fade.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: It's not completely OT ;), even a remote control for a virtual mixer
is used in the same way as old analog gear. For radio the fade ins and
outs could be done by each kind of sane taper/mapping. Fons already
pointed out, it's like driving different cars.