[LAD] Half-OT: Fader mapping - was - Ardour MIDI tracer

John Rigg ladev8 at jrigg.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 14:50:56 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 12:39:05PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> IMO each channel by default
> should provide your (Fons') parametric EQ and post fader aux sends.

Those who usually try to record the right sound in the first place might find
this a nuisance. Unfortunately one size doesn't fit all.

> If
> people start mixer automation for the fist time, a notification should
> pop up and mention, that:
>
> > Fades are rare in music mixing

Some might find that patronising. I personally mix a lot of recordings with
fade outs, even if it's just to fade the end of the last note or a long reverb
tail.

Regarding fader mappings, faders on analogue mixers vary a lot in their
characteristics. Control panel markings are rarely accurate and don't
necessarily provide a reliable basis for software emulation (unlike actual
measurements).

The '70s Neve mentioned earlier would likely have used Penny & Giles faders
with a roughly logarithmic taper (no VCAs). Since this type of fader is made
by varying the characteristics of the resistive track along its length it's
very tricky to achieve consistency. A "logarithmic" fader is unlikely to match
one from a different manufacturer, which makes replacement difficult if the
original type is obsolete - often all the channel faders need to be replaced
at once if this is the case.

One thing most analogue faders do have is better resolution than a 128 step
midi controller, so slow fades without audible steps are easier to achieve.

John