[LAD] Half-OT: Fader mapping - was - Ardour MIDI tracer

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Aug 24 10:27:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 10:52:33AM +0200, Joakim Hernberg wrote:

> I guess most amateurs go straight from mic to preamp/converter now
> days, but if using some gear in between,  proper gain staging is
> essential.

That's where things get to go wrong.

> Another often missed point is that mics can sound different
> depending on the impedance of the preamp input.

Yes, but assuming there's no distortion, the difference amounts
to some EQ.

> I would agree that now days the best spent money would go into
> mics and pres, and possibly hardware EQs and compressors too

There's really no point in hardware EQ today if your signal ends
up to be digital. That said, some software EQs are really bad,
usually the result of turning some textbook equation into code
without understanding it. Same for many software compressors.
But both can be near perfect as well.

Ciao,

--
FA