[LAD] Half-OT: Fader mapping - was - Ardour MIDI tracer

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Aug 24 14:19:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 10:52:33AM +0200, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
>> Another often missed point is that mics can sound different
>> depending on the impedance of the preamp input.
>
> Yes, but assuming there's no distortion, the difference amounts
> to some EQ.

That is true and for most studio mics (anyone use crystal mics?) it would
be minimal. Anytime eq is used to bring back low level frequencies, it is
likely to bring back the noise around that frequency too. Instrument
pickups are most sensitive to this. I have a classical guitar that I put a
piezo into. Ok, I broke a piezo buzzer open, put wires on the disk and
used putty to stick it under the bridge :)   When plugged into my mixer
(impedance 10k?) it sounded really bad. I could eq it to not bad, but it
took a lot of eq to do so. My wife has a fishman loudmouth guitar amp made
for acoustic guitars and plugging into that made it sound wonderful with
no eq at all. The only thing I found was that phase reverse made a big
difference in feedback sensitivity... I guess I need to flip the element
over or reverse the cable.

Certaimly this is an extreme example and while a pickup is nice for
performing, I normally use a mic for this guitar for recording. The
point being, that while it is obvious that impedance needs to be
reasonable to begin with, a lot of people's eyes glaze over with the
first use of the word. For many people the best thing is a mic with a USB
plug on it.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net