[LAD] Software sound

W.Boeke w.boeke at upcmail.nl
Sat Aug 30 09:13:19 UTC 2014

Hi,

Yoshimi is a neat repacking of ZynAddSubFX. It offers all kinds of interesting sound, but I call it musician-hostile. What you see is a bunch of controls that you have to manipulate with the mouse
while playing, trying to read and understand the very small labels (on a modern high-DPI monitor) and try to get the sound, attack etc. that you want. It is next to impossible to perform this, so you
will only try some of the 510 build-in patches, but you can't modify them easily. And modifying the sound while playing is essential for a good performance. In other words: Yoshimi is way too
complicated. It would be more useful to supply only 10 patches that are easy to modify.

Take for instance an ADSR envelope generator. In Yoshimi (and in most other software synths) there are 4 knobs that you must control. This is replicated from old hardware synths. Why not show a small
diagram of the envelope, that you can modify directly with the mouse or with your fingers? The only animated visual component in Yoshimi is the output level indicator, which is the least interesting
of all audio information. Why not think about the real benefits for the musician that software and graphics are capable off?

The actual subject of my post was about algorithms to generate interesting and/or beautiful sounds. So, supposed you have just invented FM synthesis, then this forum would be an ideal place to write
something like:
"I found out that if you modify the frequency of a sine wave with another sine wave, then you can get very versatile kinds of audio signals. This method is simple and costs little CPU. See the
following code snippets ..., or download my demo project at ..."

Regards,
Wouter Boeke