[LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 16:16:00 UTC 2014

On 01/21/2014 04:07 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 15:55 +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>> I'd be tempted to remove what I just installed, but not all software
>> comes with a "make uninstall".
> But that should be provided, if it shouldn't be provided, then taking a
> look to the makefile might give some hints what was installed to what
> location. Btw. it can't harm to at least try checkinstall instead of
> make install, this is possible most of the times.

Well, first, it's up to the developers to provide that and not the user.
Second, I don't think *any* new user will understand what a Makefile does...

Regarding checkinstall, that's not a widely known trick.
I still meet new users on IRC and forums that never heard of it.

>> So crap... I had broken app X and I didn't knew how to fix it or to
>> revert to the previous condition...
> Restoring from a backup? Even non-techie (non-power-users) should
> consider to backup their complete Linux DAWs and data.

How do you backup an installed application?

In my case I had an older version of an app I wanted to upgrade.
The distribution didn't had the new version so I had to build one myself.
Because I was a noob something probably went wrong during the build,
resulting in a broken app.
The app installed to /usr/local which overrides distro's /usr packages.
But I didn't knew that (noob alert ;)) so what could I have done?
Reinstalling the app's package did nothing (still /usr/local files present).

For a new Linux user, I understand this is when they start thinking
about going back...