[LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 21 16:31:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 16:16 +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:

> How do you backup an installed application?

Using another Linux install (a live media would be ok too) I backup my
complete Linux DAW.

> For a new Linux user, I understand this is when they start thinking
> about going back...

Going back to where? Are you talking about users who first used Apple or
Microsoft based systems? 1. Not every user did use Apple or Microsoft
based systems. 2. Even if people come from e.g. Windows, why did they
decide to switch, if they like it e.g. the Windows way? It's ok to take
a look what perhaps is better when using e.g. Windows and to think about
making it better for Linux userspace too, but starting to clone e.g.
Windows is the wrong way. Btw. we all learned to use Linux and to share
this knowledge. Subscribe to *buntu list, if somebody has got a problem,
not seldom she/he gets "help" from other users who have got no
knowledge, IOW they do absolutely wrong things to troubleshoot, even
doing minimal web research is out of fashion. The idea of FLOSS for
Linux, FreeBSD etc. is to pass on the knowledge from one to the other.
If sharing basic knowledge should be too "techie", then Linux, FreeBSD
and other OS might be the wrong OS for such an user. There also is FLOSS
available for e.g. Windows.