[LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 18:00:29 UTC 2014

I kinda knew this would turn into an ideological debate.

As a user and not a developer, I would like to point out that the problem
with compilation is not that it is not "rocket science", but that it is a
tedious process that not all users want to go through even if they know how
to do it.

Back in my days of being new to GNU/Linux I compiled a lot of software and
even when being keenly interested in doing that I remember being very
frustrated as I can rarely recall an occasion when it just worked.

That means that if you do not have all the tools and dependencies, you know
as a fact that installing this application will take unpredictable amount
of time. Once it'll take you 2 minutes, another it can take up to a day,
which had happened to me.
Which is why I personally rely more on ppa's nowadays as I am a little bit
tired of compiling things. There are some programs that I never could
compile at all, for one reason or another.

So, this has very little to do with learning or intelligence. This has to
do with priorities. If a person's priority is to develop and not use, then
sure. If a person's main goal is to use GNU/Linux software, then his
priority would be to get it running, not dive each time into the
intricacies of how things work on code level.

Not to mention, fellas, that there is not much learning value in compiling
anyway. I mean, sometimes you just don't have all the dependencies and
after you go through the trouble of getting almost all of it, some library
requires you to have a different kernel version and there's that.

And in conclusion, I'd like to note that Filipe's suggestion is just that.
If you do not agree - you won't use his methods and will continue to
release sources. Those who agree will try out his way. So I see no problem
here.

L.V.
*http://www.louigiverona.ru/ <http://www.louigiverona.ru/>*