[LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

hermann meyer brummer- at web.de
Sat Jan 25 06:55:20 UTC 2014

Am 24.01.2014 18:31, schrieb IOhannes m zmölnig:
> On 01/21/2014 07:10 PM, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>>> Linux does provide ways to downgrade and to restore from backups.
> ???
> "linux" (as in 'kernel') does not provide anything related to that.
> concerning "linux" (as in 'distribution') i can only speak for one:
> Debian explicitely does *not* support downgrading. my experience with
> ubuntu is small, but i gather that it doesn't even properly support
> upgrading.

Debian didn't support downgrade, but they provide way's to do it. (dpkg)
Running sid, makes it necessary from time to time to downgrade some
apps/libs.

>> tablets are a different ecosystem, we should ignore it here.
> different to what?
> a considerable amount of computers sold are "tablets" there days.
> a considerable amount of tablets are running "linux" these days.
> as a matter of fact, i think this entire discussion makes *most* sense
> in "tablet world".
>
> gfmadsr
> IOhannes

similar projects exist for some time now, and may be go to some nice
result, when driven carefully. Ignoring "corner-case user" is surly not
the way to go , see here:
http://0install.net/