[LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

Nils list at nilsgey.de
Tue Jul 1 12:01:31 UTC 2014

On 01.07.2014 13:29, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Fons will very probably move to Germany in a few weeks [...] How this
> will affect my ability to stay active in open source audio is still a
> matter to be discussed.

Let me take the opportunity to say two things here:

1) I use your zita programs, mostly the reverb, in your version,
standalone. I am fully statisfied. (The only matter of convenience I
could think of is NSM support, which does not touch the DSP or the GUI
code at all.) That you chose the GPL so far enables not only using and
learning but also better distribution and so on. For comparison: If I
release my own creations under a permissive license, be it music-theory
works, music or software, I sometimes am uncomfortable with possible
perversions and rip-offs as well. But I think the software can endure
that. My analogy is crime in a society or state. You cannot get rid of
it except by creating a far more worse situation. Security over freedom.
A society can and must live with crime, and indeed it does. I think a
sub-society like open source and linux audio can endure it as well.

2) If "will probably move" becomes "going to move": welcome to Germany!
:)  If you happen to be in the Cologne area feel free to drop by the
newly created Cologne Open Source Audio Meeting if you like (next:
2014-.08-18 , then: 2014-10-15 cologne.linuxaudio.org)

Greetings,

Nils
http://www.nilsgey.de