[LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Wed Jul 2 09:18:55 UTC 2014

[hermann meyer]
> However, this list here is the wrong place to discus that any further,
> I just hope that some people here get interested in such a approve
> (Tim you are more then welcome to join us),
> if, please join us at
> guitarix-developer at lists.sourceforge.net

Thank you kindly Hermann, I hope I'll be able to join you guys at a
later date.  In re circuit emulation, I have to concur with Fons:
meaningful nonlinear full-circuit emulation (i.e. employing more than
just a single isolated idealised nonlinear component) appears to be
too demanding for realtime application on current hardware (and I
think the problem doesn't lend itself well to parallelisation so the
current trends in CPU progress won't help much) and if you stay linear
I think you're better off with traditional optimised digital filter
designs.

Not to say it's not a great tool, but I see its value more in gaining
insight than realtime processing.

Cheers, Tim