[LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

Philipp Überbacher murks at tuxfamily.org
Mon Jun 30 22:12:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:58:43 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:13:06PM +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>
> > Fons, you know what?  the Faust zita-rev1 version  (still old
> > one of course..) now even runs in the web, automagically compiled
> > in asm.js  (http://asmjs.org) using latest faust2 git version
> > and running at acceptable speed in recent browsers like Firefox
> > or Chrome (still some issues here…) :
>
> And what's the point of running a concert hall reverb in a web
> browser ? Providing a new 'business model' for audio engineering ?
> With some advertising around it and Google reaping the benifits
> and diverting them to some low tax island inhabitated by the
> stinking rich and their imported household slaves ? If that is
> the future of open source software, I'll step out. Or is it some
> form of masturbation for IT engineers who have nothing better to
> do ? Or are they too stupid to grok what's going on ?
>
> Ciao,

I think sometimes people do it just because they can, or in your
words, masturbation. Or because they think for some reason pushing
everything into the web is a good idea.
Why else would people write a html5 backend for GTK? In my opinion
they're full of shit, but as long as they don't try to impose their
idiocy on me I don't care too much.
The only trouble is that many people think everything on the web is a
good idea because many people think that everything on the web is a
good idea. It's a severe lack of reflection, but that's nothing new.

Regards,
Philipp