[LAD] AoIP question

tom at trellis.ch tom at trellis.ch
Sun Oct 5 18:39:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, October 5, 2014 17:47, Len Ovens wrote:
> I have been doing some reading on audio over IP (or networking of any
> kind) and one of the things that comes up from time to time is collisions.
>  Anything I read about ethernet talks about collisions and how to deal
> with them. When I was thinking of a point to point layer two setup, my
> first thought was there should be no collisions. Having read all the AES67
> and other layer 3 protocols there does not seem to be mention of
> collisions really. My thought is that on a modern wired network there
> should be no collisions at all. The closest thing would be a delay at a
> switch while it transmitted another packet that in a hub would have been a
> collision.

Hi, i'm following the thread of the ongoing topics around transmitting
audio over IP infrastructure.
As a scenario, at point a) an analog signal is injected that will be
played back (analog) at point b) with the lowest possible (and constant)
latency.
How do you intend to handle diverging clocks of the audio interfaces
(ADC/DAC) at both (a/b) ends?
Greetings
Tom