[LAD] User eXperience in Linux Audio

Hermann Meyer brummer- at web.de
Thu Apr 23 18:10:28 UTC 2015

Am 23.04.2015 um 13:49 schrieb Thorsten Wilms:
> On 23.04.2015 11:50, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
>> Who would think that having to operate a circular knob by moving the
>> mouse in a little circle is convenient? It's also a bit harder to
>> implement. Is there some argument for it I am not aware of?
>
> Properly done radial knobs do not force you to move the pointer in a
> little circle, but allow you to increase the distance. This way, you
> get adjustable precision. In my own experience, this can work very
> well for parameters that have a huge range (i.e. _many_ steps) and
> control something sensitive to the smallest changes.
>
> One issue is the placement of the knob relative to the edges of the
> screen and what you do when the pointer (ignoring touch) reaches them.

I've made my first knobs with circular response, and was very pleased
with the behave, like Thorsten points out, distance to the center is the
key therefor.  jump-to-mouse is a no-go therefor, but that's thru for
any (audio) controller.

However, most users complain about circular response, so we've changed
it to linear behave.
Today, I mostly use the scroll-wheal to change values, . .