[LAD] sending atoms to LV2 plugin with LVTK

Igor Angst igorangst at riseup.net
Tue Feb 16 11:24:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm new to audio programming, and new to LV2 and LVTK. I managed to
build the LVTK examples from sources. Now I'm trying to figure out how I
can send a simple text message from my UI to the plugin (it will be used
for speech synthesis).

First question: In the ttl, can I just add an atomPort with a type other
than sequence, like this:
 [
    a atom:AtomPort ,
    lv2:InputPort ;
    lv2:index 3;
    lv2:symbol "text";
    lv2:name "Text";
    atom:bufferType atom:String ;
  ]

Second question: How do I send a string over this port? I suppose I need
to wrap it into an LV2_Atom_String somehow. However, I always end up
receiving MIDI data in my plugin.

Third question: In a Synth plugin, how do I handle events other than
MIDI note on and off (which have both their own specialized methods)?
Which method should I overwrite to react on the strings coming in over
my atomPort?

Any pointer to a solution would be nice!

Best wishes,
Ulrich