[LAD] No sound after login

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Mar 2 23:05:54 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016, Gene Heskett wrote:

> This has been a PIMA here for a couple years, surviving at least one full
> fresh install to a new HD.
>
> I hear a very strong thump during the bootup at about the time the
> modules are loaded, which tells me the audio is alive and well.
>
> However, when I have initially logged in and the system is ready to be
> used for whatever my urges want to, if I want to hear the sound on a web
> site as a news story is played, I must first call up a terminal and
> issue:
>
> alsactl restore
>
> Now it seems to me there ought to be someplace in the junk that runs
> after the login, to put a "/usr/sbin/alsactl restore", where it will be
> executed as me, and this problem then should be fixed, at least until a
> new install is done.

/etc/xdg/autostart/
or
~/.config/autostart/

Build a desktop file that has alsactl restore as it's command.

There will probably be examples in one of the above directories.

The question I have is what distro are you using that doesn't do this on
it's own already? (I am not sure what mine does to restore sound, I just
know it does)

It occures to me PA may be the thing that does this... and removing PA for
proaudio work is common.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net