[LAD] No sound after login

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Mar 3 00:08:36 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 02 March 2016 18:05:54 Len Ovens wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2016, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > This has been a PIMA here for a couple years, surviving at least one
> > full fresh install to a new HD.
> >
> > I hear a very strong thump during the bootup at about the time the
> > modules are loaded, which tells me the audio is alive and well.
> >
> > However, when I have initially logged in and the system is ready to
> > be used for whatever my urges want to, if I want to hear the sound
> > on a web site as a news story is played, I must first call up a
> > terminal and issue:
> >
> > alsactl restore
> >
> > Now it seems to me there ought to be someplace in the junk that runs
> > after the login, to put a "/usr/sbin/alsactl restore", where it will
> > be executed as me, and this problem then should be fixed, at least
> > until a new install is done.
>
> /etc/xdg/autostart/
> or
> ~/.config/autostart/
>
> Build a desktop file that has alsactl restore as it's command.
>
> There will probably be examples in one of the above directories.
>
> The question I have is what distro are you using that doesn't do this
> on it's own already? (I am not sure what mine does to restore sound, I
> just know it does)

This particular install is a special, based on wheezy, but with a pinned
hard realtime (RTAI modified) kernel for running CNC machinery.  You can
get the iso from linuxcnc.org.

The only audio thing running, according to htop, is kmix.  I do not see
any telltale footprints from PA in the htop listing.

> It occures to me PA may be the thing that does this... and removing PA
> for proaudio work is common.

Likely, for a machine tool targeted OS, PA would be considered overkill.
The other 3 machines running this install are lucky if they even have a
$0.29 (USD) speaker in them to make beeps.  Likely not even heard if the
machinery is running.

> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net