[LAD] No sound after login

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Mar 3 00:53:07 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 March 2016 18:05:54 Len Ovens wrote:
>>
>> /etc/xdg/autostart/
>> or
>> ~/.config/autostart/
>>
>> Build a desktop file that has alsactl restore as it's command.
>>
> This particular install is a special, based on wheezy, but with a pinned
> hard realtime (RTAI modified) kernel for running CNC machinery.  You can
> get the iso from linuxcnc.org.
>
> The only audio thing running, according to htop, is kmix.  I do not see
> any telltale footprints from PA in the htop listing.

Aside from me not likeing kmix  :P  It does say that KDE is probably
running so autostart should get scanned at a session start. (KDE uses XDG)

However, if you are going headless or CLI, .profile may make more sense.
There should be a matching alsactl save as part of shutdown. I am not sure
that the user running alsactl restore has to be the same as the final
user, /etc/rc.local may work just as well.

>> It occures to me PA may be the thing that does this... and removing PA
>> for proaudio work is common.
>
> Likely, for a machine tool targeted OS, PA would be considered overkill.
> The other 3 machines running this install are lucky if they even have a
> $0.29 (USD) speaker in them to make beeps.  Likely not even heard if the
> machinery is running.

I gave up finding little beepers a few years ago. I do have one I can put
in whatever machine I might need it in.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net