[LAD] Opening jalv.select window from the command line (Was:jalv.select released V0.5)

Hermann Meyer brummer- at web.de
Wed Mar 30 11:03:01 UTC 2016

Am 28.03.2016 um 15:00 schrieb Christopher Arndt:

> What I would ideally like is that, if jalv.select is already running and
> you start another instance, the running instance opens its window (if
> minimized). That would require some kind of IPC, so I'm not sure, if
> this is something that's worth adding. As as simple hack, jalv.select
> could just create a socket file at a known location, or it could use
> DBus, which has the advantage that the "open jalv.select window" action
> could be caleld from any generic DBus client.
Hi Chris

So I've added a named pipe to jalv.select, so that communication with
the app is possible.
Currently it understand "quit", "show" and "hide".
Syntax from bash is simple, for example:

echo show >jalv.select.fifo
echo hide >jalv.select.fifo
echo quit >jalv.select.fifo

It understand as well "exit", but that's for internal use.

I guess that will allow you to define your own keyboard shortcuts.

Regarding the intern Desktop HotKey's for show/hide, jalv.select will
now try <SHIFT>+ESCAPE first,
if that fail, it will try
<CONTROL><SHIFT>+ESCAPE.
If that fail as well, the KeyGrabber will be disabled.

Also, jalv.select takes care now to be the only instance of it's own, a
running instance will be presented, when you try to start a new one.

I hope this helps for a better cross Desktop integration.

regards
hermann