[LAD] aBLETON lINK

Markus Seeber markus.seeber at spectralbird.de
Fri Sep 23 15:52:19 UTC 2016

On 09/23/2016 05:13 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> The last time I was working with such a person was deeply illustrative: a
> small technology company doing audio on raspberry pi and beagle boards.
> Using JACK. Having an insanely hard time even getting it work. Even with me
> sitting in with them. Their experience is common. Maybe even the norm. We
> never targetted JACK for such uses (focusing on desktop scenarios).
> Developers think it is cool, was developed on the same OS as they are
> running their new embedded platforms - awesome! Except ... not so much.

Exactly what I have experienced. It is all well for prototypes and for
testing out stuff,
but when things become serious, it all falls apart and people may notice,
that jack is not even a good fit for their usecase which may be better fit
by a small custom application.

Also people have a hard time understanding even the "basic" concepts,
for various reasons.

I have seen someone trying to build a simple processing chain for
streaming audio
and setting up a proprietary application as a JACK client.
That was interesting to watch. It took quite some time for him to learn
how to even build, install and use JACK
in a meaningful way, even with me providing some help. In the end it
worked out for testing
and evaluation purposes but I'd never seriously consider that ready for
production usage.

This may sound harsh, but this stuff is simply not a nice choice for
mainstream production use
and so are many things in the LAU universe.