[LAD] Forgive me, for I have sinned, or: toss your Macintosh, as fast and wide as you can.

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 10:52:30 UTC 2017

You realize, of course, that this is probably a bug and that this was not
intended by Apple? You should also understand that millions of people are
using Macs everyday and their data doesn't get lost, right?

Because, if not, I can supply many-many stories where I would loose data
because of stupid Linux machines, lose gigs because suddenly the music
software wouldn't start, although it did just yesterday. There are enough
problems that stem from software not having an owner that from it "being
controlled" by someone else. And then after bashing Linux, I can finish my
email with a dramatic "don't".

Any system can fail, and it is never at the right time. And in my
experience, proprietary systems are generally much more stable than floss,
and are less likely to fail suddenly and without warning.

For instance, when preparing for the Sonoj convention, I had Carla start
crashing on me and I could not complete music examples. I eventually had to
revert to FLStudio to make them.

At the Sonoj Convention, 10 minutes before my dj set, Mixxx has deleted all
of my tracks library and I had to frantically search for a fix. I found a
workaround, but could not include a couple of new tunes into the set.

Did I write a post blaming floss for that? No.

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Jörn Nettingsmeier <
> nettings at stackingdwarves.net> wrote:
>
>> Long story short: don't.
>

> Holy cow.
>
> I like funny war stories like these. Of course it's only funny if you're
> not bitten yourself. :( I feel with you.
>
> At least you got a 2013 MB which is still half-decent hardware compared to
> the fancy shiny thingies they sell for premium prices these days. Where you
> can gain root without a password and need a USB-C dongle of substantial
> size to connect to just about *any* kind of useful, non-snowflake
> peripheral. Well, at least it connects to your power supply, isn't that
> great? :)
>
> Take care,
> Albert
>
> --
> Dr. Albert Gr"af
> Computer Music Research Group, JGU Mainz, Germany
> Email:  aggraef at gmail.com
> WWW:    https://plus.google.com/+AlbertGraef

Louigi Verona
https://www.patreon.com/droning