[LAD] Forgive me, for I have sinned, or: toss your Macintosh, as fast and wide as you can.

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Dec 4 12:30:52 UTC 2017

On 12/04/2017 11:52 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> You should also understand that millions of people are
> using Macs everyday and their data doesn't get lost, right?

I actually don't know a Mac user who hasn't been burnt and they all use
TimeCapsules or iCloud or dropbox or a similar backup solution.

I've seen a many master-students who are writing their thesis on OS X to
send it to themselves or friends by email every other hour as backup.
Only few of them embraced git, because sending an email is just too trivial.

Anyway Joern's story is not about loosing files, but being locked out of
the machine (!).

Seeing as this was in a train, and last I looked the DB-network was wide
open, I'm curious if this was actually a hack by guy in another
train-compartment or perhaps a subverted access-point exploiting some OS
X vulnerability.

> Because, if not, I can supply many-many stories where I would loose data
> because of stupid Linux machines, lose gigs because suddenly the music
> software wouldn't start, although it did just yesterday. There are enough
> problems that stem from software not having an owner that from it "being
> controlled" by someone else. And then after bashing Linux, I can finish my
> email with a dramatic "don't".
>
> Any system can fail, and it is never at the right time. And in my
> experience, proprietary systems are generally much more stable than floss,
> and are less likely to fail suddenly and without warning.
>
> For instance, when preparing for the Sonoj convention, I had Carla start
> crashing on me and I could not complete music examples. I eventually had to
> revert to FLStudio to make them.
>
> At the Sonoj Convention, 10 minutes before my dj set, Mixxx has deleted all
> of my tracks library and I had to frantically search for a fix. I found a
> workaround, but could not include a couple of new tunes into the set.
>
> Did I write a post blaming floss for that? No.

I very much hope you did file bug reports for all those issues.

While the end-result may be the same: "fail to deliver result". Joern's
experience is quite different from what you describe.

Also note that all the software that you have mentioned comes with a
disclaimer (GPL):

  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

..writing a blaming blog post is a non-starter if you accept the license.

2c,
robin