[LAD] Forgive me, for I have sinned, or: toss your Macintosh, as fast and wide as you can.

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Mon Dec 4 17:52:17 UTC 2017

On 12/04/2017 01:30 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Seeing as this was in a train, and last I looked the DB-network was wide
> open, I'm curious if this was actually a hack by guy in another
> train-compartment or perhaps a subverted access-point exploiting some OS
> X vulnerability.

I was connected to my own phone hotspot. So unless it's a very low-level
WLAN interface vulnerability, a local wireless exploit seems unlikely.

I'm pretty sure the kill message did come from the iCloud (a service
which I'm not using and which I don't indent to ever use) using the
Find-my-Mac feature. I was _never_ given an option to opt out of this
feature, and it was never made clear to me that I was carrying a
time-bomb (with remote wipe option) that would enable unknown third
parties to potentially cause five-digit damages on a whim.

And re Luigi, no, I do not agree that proprietary is necessarily more
stable. It can be, with proper engineering and human resources. Paying
for the development of free software (which I regularly do) helps.

But even though Mac OS X is a really slick operating system, a single
feature like the one I encountered makes it completely and utterly
unacceptable to me (and this is "just" Sierra, I hear with the latest
High Sierra they are running absolutely hog-wild with respect to user
choice and privacy). The day I move my private data into the Apple
"cloud" (or rather, a content delivery network for celebrity porn),
someone please kill me.

Of Windows, I shall not speak, and I know what I'm not speaking of.
Let me assure you I'm not this bearded hippie (well, yes I am, but...)
whose main occupation in computing is trying out new window managers. I
work with lots of different systems professionally, some of them
ridiculously expensive and ridiculously closed, every day.

That said, and very much in disagreement with Luigi, after being a
long-time happy Thinkpad user _before_ the IME clusterfuck surfaced, I'm
even tending towards "I will only ever accept those jobs that I can do
with open software on open hardware". Still a pipe dream, but I've had
it with big data and big company hypocrisy, and I will remove myself
from it at the earliest opportunity, even if it means my creative
possibilities will be severly limited. If creative freedom means having
to play along with that shit, it's an illusion anyway and I want to be
rid of it.

Sorry for the noise, I did not expect this thread to go ballistic, and
if it has bored anyone's socks off, my sincere apologies.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net