[LAD] Forgive me, for I have sinned, or: toss your Macintosh, as fast and wide as you can.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 5 18:56:28 UTC 2017

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 17:21:05 +0100, Louigi Verona wrote:
>Microsoft and Apple are not the only examples of proprietary software,
>sir. And proprietary software developer is not necessarily a
>"corporation".

At least the software that runs on e.g. an Apple operating system could
be from developers who are not associated with Apple.

>I have reacted to the initial post because a person was claiming that
>because *a problem* on a Mac happened - that means that everything
>which is a Mac is now a problem. I have responded that this does not
>sound very reasonable and that I can talk about *a problem* I had with
>Linux and apply the same logic.
>
>I think this rebuke was appropriate. Making sweeping generalizations
>about all Macs or about all proprietary software (or about floss, for
>that matter) based on isolated incidents is not an approach that will
>deliver an objective overview of the situation in the world of
>software.

I'm using real-time audio software for iOS from a developer who
tries to provide the same software for non-Apple tablet PCs, too,
actually the only tablet PC platform that is suitable for professional
audio usage is iOS. There is no such Linux based tablet PC platform
available. Linux for our domain covers a very small market share.
However, apart from this hardware related issue, a large amount of
audio software isn't available for Linux. Good synth emulations are a
proprietary domain of vendors who usually don't provide their software
for Linux at all. Within the pro-audio domain there are sub-domains
were comparison between Linux FLOSS and what ever kind of software for
proprietary operating systems (also FLOSS or expensive closed source
software) can't be compared, because for Linux a lot of software isn't
available.