[LAD] What's with Nedko Arnaudov?

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Thu Dec 7 01:05:43 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-06 16:10:09 (-0800), Len Ovens wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2017, David Runge wrote:

> > > the
> > >
> > > Can you elaborate on that? AFAIK cadence/catia uses PyQt to draw its
> > > canvas.
> > According to its INSTALL file [1] claudia needs ladish. a2jmidid is an
> > optional dependency to cadence.
>
> That is like saying jackd is an optional dependancy to Cadence. Unless
> things have changed, there are many debian packages that end up with a
> jackd2 dependancy and switching over to jackd1 is not trivial for many
jack{1,2} _is_ a dependency for cadence on a package and build level.
a2jmidid is a build and (packaging wise) optional dependency.

Maybe I should clarify:
I'm writing about requirements for packages.
This is basically a packaging problem, as I have to build and provide a
package in the main repositories for all build (and of course runtime)
dependencies of a program.
ladish and a2jmidid are runtime and/or build dependencies for cadence,
which means, if I want to push cadence (and all of its parts, i.e.
also claudia) to the main repositories, I have to package ladish as well
(which suffers from the aforementioned problems).

> people. Jackd2 also does not depend on a2jmidid, but there are some
> applications that depend on jackd2 being able to access a2jmidid even if it
> is not listed in the depends. If jackd1 is the goto... please make it jackd3
> and be done with it. Then depricate jackd2. Or roll the code into jackd2 as
> well... I really don't care which.
AFAIK, jack2 is a reimplementation, with SMP support, so they are really
two different architectures, that implement the same API.
tbh, I always use jack2 though...
There is no way of merging the two.

> In case you are wondering, installing jackd1 on a debian based machine that
> already has jackd2 and other audio appliactions installed will first remove
> jackd2 as well as all appliactions that depend on it and then install
> jackd1. The user is left with the task of reinstalling their audio sw... if
> that sw doesn't first remove jackd1 so it can drop jackd2 back in place. Is
> the packaging clearly broken? Yes. Can it be fixed? Half the problem is
> based on policy not code. (how long has Linux Sampler not been in debian?)
That luckily is not a problem with pacman on Arch Linux.
I've always found packaging in Debian (derivatives) to be too painful ;-)

--
https://sleepmap.de