[LAD] Carla (was... whatever)

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 09:51:43 UTC 2017

On 10.12.2017 10:28, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 09:33:25 +0100, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>>> suil comes with a dedicated version itself and as far as I notice
>>> doesn't require ntk-git or even qt4 and qt5 at the same time, even
>>> not by it's one and only hard dependency lv2, let alone that even
>>> qt4 is an optional dependency. Following the dependency chain ... I
>>> might be mistaken .. even GTK3 seems not to be a hard dependency.
>>> Did I miss something by suil's dependency chain?
>> You're missing the fact that all of these are optional dependencies.
>> Nothing in carla is a real build-time dependency.
>>
>> But obviously, if you want to load gtk2 uis on carla, you need gtk2.
>> Same goes for qt4, qt5 and gtk3. There is no way around this, you need
>> the toolkit during build-time in order to support it.
>>
>> ntk-git (and also fftw3, mxml and zlib) are dependencies of
>> zynaddsubfx. you can take those out if you don't care about zyn inside
>> carla.
> Please don't get me wrong, sometimes a plugin's GUI could be an
> advantage, but it also could be annoying. IMO plugins more often could
> be more comfortable, with an UI provided by the host.

I agree there, but most users don't.

In case you did not notice from me and Rui, we Portuguese people like to
support as much stuff as possible :)

There are not any lv2 gtk3 plugin UIs yet, but Carla already supports those.
It supported Qt5 UIs before any other host, because Carla's ui-bridge
makes it easy to support a new UI type - though it needs the UI to work
without instance-access.

Anyway, you were complaining about the many toolkit dependencies, now
you know why.
As long as there are plugins using these toolkits, users will want to
use them, so I end up supporting them in the end.