[LAD] Carla (was... whatever)

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 10:48:51 UTC 2017

On 10.12.2017 11:41, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 11:25:26 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Off-topic:
>>
>> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 10:51:43 +0100, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>>> In case you did not notice from me and Rui, we Portuguese people like
>>> to support as much stuff as possible :)
>> Not really. For example, record a few audio tracks with Qtractor using
>> a low frame size, while you mute several tracks to avoid xruns. Then
>> for mixing purpose increase the frame size and enable all tracks. Oops,
>> the already not that good latency compensation, gets a little bit more
>> out of sync, in relation to the MIDI tracks ;).
> Do you claim that Portuguese people prefer quantity rather than quality
> over quality rather than quantity?

You're getting really offtopic here, ignoring all the rest I said and
only going for a minor joke in the post...

Anyway, latency compensation is likely the most complicated thing you
can do as a plugin host / DAW.
afaik Ardour only now started a proper implementation of it.
A commercial major DAW I use from time to time only recently implemented it.

And quantity over quantity does not translate well into software.
For a host that supports LADSPA and OSC for example, implementing DSSI
would be very easy because it reuses LADSPA and OSC directly.
Often you only need to implement a format or specific extra feature
once, and it stays there for a long time.
This is how the linux kernel can support so many devices.