[LAD] Carla (was... whatever)

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 11:07:53 UTC 2017

On 10.12.2017 11:47, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 09:33:25AM +0100, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>
>> You're missing the fact that all of these are optional dependencies.
>> Nothing in carla is a real build-time dependency.
> So that means that the following (from The AUR PKGBUILD file) is
> mostly wrong:
>
> depends=('file' 'fftw' 'fluidsynth' 'glu' 'liblo' 'linuxsampler' 'mxml' 'ntk-git' 'projectm' 'python' 'python-pyqt5' 'qt5-svg' 'zlib')
> makedepends=('gtk2' 'gtk3' 'python-pyliblo' 'python-rdflib' 'qt4' 'zynaddsubfx')
> optdepends=(
>    'gtk2: LV2 GTK2 UI support'
>    'gtk3: LV2 GTK3 UI support'
>    'python-pyliblo: OSC support'
>    'python-rdflib: LADSPA-RDF support'
>    'qt4: LV2 QT4 UI support'
>    'zynaddsubfx: ZynAddSubFX banks'
> )
>
> Even if this is 'WoefulDerelict' (the packager) mixing things up,
> I still don't get why fluidsynth, linuxsampler and zynaddsubfx are
> there - unless upstream somehow indicated they should be.

 From what I understand, you cannot specify multiple packages as
optional dependency to get a feature working.
I mean, for zynaddsubfx carla uses mxml, fftw, zlib, ntk (or fltk) and
zynaddsubfx itself.

liblo, fluidsynth, glu, linuxsampler and projectm should be optional
dependencies there. (not to mention zyn stuff)
but to be honest, people don't usually care for installing a few extra
libraries.

> You mentioned you worked on having zyn 'inside carla', but why
> should any synth ever be a built-in part of a plugin host ?

I mention on a different reply, that it was initially a test to see if
and how zyn could work as a plugin.
The reason why we have zynaddsubfx as a plugin (officially supported
upstream) was because of this initial investigation.
And of course the help of Mark to make sure we were doing things properly.

The plugin is still available there (on linux builds) for backwards
compatible reasons.
Soon I will remove it from the default build and make projects that use
that plugin convert automatically to the LV2 version.
But this has not happened yet.

On MacOS and Windows builds I will still keep those plugins, so that the
users that have not installed any other plugins can still make some noise.

> Same about projectm (which seems to be some music visualisation
> gadget, nothing at all to do with even semi-pro audio).

projectm "dependency" comes from a plugin that is included with carla
(for now).
that being https://github.com/DISTRHO/ProM/

As I said before, eventually these extra plugins will be moved into a
git submodule.
They will not be built by default, and existing projects (when the
internal plugin is not found) will be converted automatically to their
LV2 version.

> If you could provide a correct version of the above that would
> be most useful.

I left a comment on the carla-git package on AUR regarding
optional-dependency changes.