[LAD] Forgive me, for I have sinned, or: toss your Macintosh, as fast and wide as you can.

Markus Seeber markus.seeber at spectralbird.de
Sun Dec 10 21:14:35 UTC 2017

On 12/10/2017 09:37 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Markus Seeber <
> markus.seeber at spectralbird.de> wrote:
>
>> ​You can still statically link for example with FLTK
>>
> ​You still need to ensure that the host can integrate with FLTK (or any
> other toolkit's) event loop. Without some explicit awareness, events etc.
> will never be delivered to the non-host toolkit.​
>

>> and derivatives or roll your
>> own. On Windows I think Steinberg even provides a GUI toolkit for VST
>> plugins if
>>
> ​Not in any effective form. Their old version (more than a decade old) was
> based on *Motif* for X Window. There's a newer attempt at this, but it no
> notable benefits unless you wrote the host using the same thing, which is
> essentially impossible because of it's limited scope. ​
>

>> I remember correctly? Or go plain ImGui or plain OpenGL or whatever suits?
>>
>> Maybe robin can give better recommendations since he seems to have done
>> some work
>> on lv2 GUIs. (maybe see https://github.com/x42/robtk )
>>
> ​robtk is probably one of the most obvious answers, but even robin can
> identify some drawbacks.
>
> the thing is that on other platforms, there's a single event loop that all
> possible toolkits connect to. on Linux (X Window (and probably Wayland
> too)), this isn't true. Qt has done work to use the same glib-based event
> loop as GTK but this isn't a general solution. ​ On Windows or MacOS, it
> makes no difference what toolkit the host and plugin use, because
> everything is inevitably going to get routed through the same event loop
> (and redraw cycle). On Linux this is not true, and it's the root of most of
> these issues with plugins.

Hm, I did not think about that hard enough, honestly. Then again this makes
me want to explore the idea of a plugin GUIs separately from the DAW process.
This is not a new idea, but has it already been implemented and explored in detail,
apart from the obvious translation of MIDI/OSC from/to track automation?