[LAD] Forgive me, for I have sinned, or: toss your Macintosh, as fast and wide as you can.

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 21:19:22 UTC 2017

On 10.12.2017 22:14, Markus Seeber wrote:
> Hm, I did not think about that hard enough, honestly. Then again this makes
> me want to explore the idea of a plugin GUIs separately from the DAW process.
> This is not a new idea, but has it already been implemented and explored in detail,
> apart from the obvious translation of MIDI/OSC from/to track automation?

Carla has been doing this since it gained support for lv2 gtk2 UIs.
Since Carla's backend does not rely on any toolkit, it can not show a
toolkit based UI directly.
For such plugins Carla opens the UI in a separate process, using a
separate tool that supports that specific UI type.
Messages to/from the main host are passed via pipes (which I now kinda
regret going for, shared memory would be better)

The exception to this are "external uis", but those do not take away the
issue with symbol conflicts on shared libraries.