[LAD] Forgive me, for I have sinned, or: toss your Macintosh, as fast and wide as you can.

Hanspeter Portner dev at open-music-kontrollers.ch
Sun Dec 10 22:07:36 UTC 2017

On 10.12.2017 22:19, Filipe Coelho wrote:
> On 10.12.2017 22:14, Markus Seeber wrote:
>> Hm, I did not think about that hard enough, honestly. Then again this makes
>> me want to explore the idea of a plugin GUIs separately from the DAW process.
>> This is not a new idea, but has it already been implemented and explored in
>> detail,
>> apart from the obvious translation of MIDI/OSC from/to track automation>
> Carla has been doing this since it gained support for lv2 gtk2 UIs.
> Since Carla's backend does not rely on any toolkit, it can not show a toolkit
> based UI directly.
> For such plugins Carla opens the UI in a separate process, using a separate tool
> that supports that specific UI type.
> Messages to/from the main host are passed via pipes (which I now kinda regret
> going for, shared memory would be better)
>
> The exception to this are "external uis", but those do not take away the issue
> with symbol conflicts on shared libraries.

There's more info about these issues on the LV2 mailing list archive. Here two
well-suited thread entry points interested individuals may want to look at. The
solutions (aka best practices) are known, they *just* need to be implemented.

[1] http://lists.lv2plug.in/pipermail/devel-lv2plug.in/2016-March/001593.html
[2] http://lists.lv2plug.in/pipermail/devel-lv2plug.in/2017-March/001755.html