[LAD] ?==?utf-8?q? Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 15 14:33:30 UTC 2017

Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2017 18:58 CET, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> schrieb:

> > No X11 -> No DBus
>
> Not true. I have done
> dbus-launch screen
> and used screen as my text only session manager with success. jack_control
> was able to start jackdbus, pulse was able to run and bridge to jack on a
> headless system. (it has been a while, I stopped because the system I was
> using was too memory strapped) Any of the terminals in the same screen
> instance will be able to communicate with any other.
>
> So it is possible.

Yes, it is possible. But it also shows how little is known about dbus in the
audio comunity (lack of documentation/quality of doxumentaion?).
A naive (?) 'man jackd' won't even mention dbus. Want more ridicule?
'man jackdbus' :
 No manual entry for jackdbus
 See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

 >  It does mean learning more about your system...

Hmm - did you? You suggest using dbus-launch even so the manpage of that program
explicitly says "To start a D-Bus session within a text-mode session, do not use dbus-launch"
and point to dbus-run-session ...

Cheers, Ralf Mattes