[LAD] ?==?utf-8?q? Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Feb 15 14:50:50 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Ralf Mattes <rm at mh-freiburg.de> wrote:

> Yes, it is possible. But it also shows how little is known about dbus in
> the
> audio comunity (lack of documentation/quality of doxumentaion?).
> A naive (?) 'man jackd' won't even mention dbus. Want more ridicule?
> 'man jackdbus' :
>  No manual entry for jackdbus
>  See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

the presence of dbus support inside jackd has always been controversial.
Jack1 does not (did not?) do this because I disagreed with integrating it
directly into the jackd server. Jack2 does have dbus integration built in,
but it uses the same manual page on most systems as jack1.

it isn't intended that the user would ever need to be aware of or configure
dbus interactions. the use case you're interested in is what we would call
an edge case, and there's increasingly less tolerance for spending
resources catering to these when there are so many non-edge features and
functionality that are required by so many more people.