[LAD] Linux Support for Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation

Lloyd Dickman lloyd at audioeverywhere.com
Wed Jun 21 19:47:04 UTC 2017

I am trying to make a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (2nd Generation) work as
a USB audio capture device with Linux.  Using the most current Linux
kernel without change (v4.12-rc6), Mic inputs 1 and 2 are successfully
captured.  However, no other inputs are heard. The Scarlett device also
presents a very limited set of ALSA controls.

    exxothermic at exxothermic-BFC:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1235:8201 Focusrite-Novation
    exxothermic at exxothermic-BFC:~$ amixer -c 1 contents
    numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='ADAT Validity'
       ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
       : values=on
    numid=4,iface=MIXER,name='Clock Source'
       ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw------,values=1,items=3
       ; Item #0 'Internal'
       ; Item #1 'S/PDIF'
       ; Item #2 'ADAT'
       : values=0
    numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='Internal Validity'
       ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
       : values=on
    numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='S/PDIF Validity'
       ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
       : values=on

I modified sound/usb driver files mixer_quirks.c and mixer_scarlett.c to
treat the Scarlett 2nd generation device the same way it handles the
Scarlett 1st generation

    0x1235:0x800c    1st Generation
    0x1235:0x8201    2nd Generation

When checking with amixer, 228 controls are now listed, along with
errors that prevent alsamixer from being used.  I have no information
about how to properly configure these controls.

I am interested in any pointer to or information about how to configure
and use this Scarlett 2nd Generation device.

Thank you,

Lloyd Dickman
lloyd at audioeverywhere.com