[LAD] Github DCMA takedown notice - VeSTige header

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Jun 5 01:18:22 CEST 2018

Hi LADs,

I was contacted earlier today by GitHub with a DCMA request from
Steinberg.net to remove the aeffectx.h from VeSTige. [1]

I am planning to contest the DCMA request. This will ideally happen with
some legal counsel and support from Javier Serrano Polo who is the
original (C) holder of the VeSTige header and reverse engineered the API.

Since Github requires action within 24 hours, I have meanwhile complied
and force-pushed
https://github.com/x42/lv2vst/blob/master/include/aeffectx.h out of
existence.

I have no idea why Steinberg would target this rather low profile
project, but there you go.

Cheers!
robin

[1] Search the web for
"aeffectx.h - simple header to allow VeSTige compilation and eventually
work"
and you will find the exact file in various places.

In case you're wondering how a github DCMA notice looks like:

- - -

**Are you the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright
owner’s behalf?**
Yes

**Please provide a detailed description of the original copyrighted work
that has allegedly been infringed. If possible, include a URL to where
it is posted online.**
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html

**What files should be taken down? Please provide URLs for each file, or
if the entire repository, the repository’s URL:**
https://github.com/x42/lv2vst/blob/master/include/aeffectx.h

**Have you searched for any forks of the allegedly infringing files or
repositories? Each fork is a distinct repository and must be identified
separately if you believe it is infringing and wish to have it taken
down.**
no

**Is the work licensed under an open source license? If so, which open
source license? Are the allegedly infringing files being used under the
open source license, or are they in violation of the license?**
no

**What would be the best solution for the alleged infringement? Are
there specific changes the other person can make other than removal?**
no

**Do you have the alleged infringer’s contact information? If so, please
provide it:**

**Type (or copy and paste) the following statement: "I have a good faith
belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above on   the
infringing web pages is not authorized by the copyright owner, or its
agent, or the law. I have taken fair use into consideration."**
"I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials
described above on the infringing web pages is not authorized by the
copyright owner, or its agent, or the law. I have taken fair use into
consideration."

**Type (or copy and paste) the following statement: "I swear, under
penalty of perjury, that the information in this notification is
accurate and that I am the copyright owner, or am authorized to act on
behalf of the owner, of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed."**
"I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in this
notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner, or am
authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of an exclusive right that is
allegedly infringed."

**Please confirm that you have you have read our Guide to Submitting a
DMCA Takedown Notice:
https://help.github.com/articles/guide-to-submitting-a-dmca-takedown-notice/**

yes i confirm

**So that we can get back to you, please provide either your telephone
number or physical address:**
[private]
[private] Phone: [private]
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH Fax : [private]
[private]
http://www.steinberg.net

**Please type your full legal name below to sign this request:**
[private]