[LAD] Github DCMA takedown notice - VeSTige header

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 09:45:15 CEST 2018

On 05.06.2018 01:18, Robin Gareus wrote:
> Hi LADs,
>
> I was contacted earlier today by GitHub with a DCMA request from
> Steinberg.net to remove the aeffectx.h from VeSTige. [1]

Oh wow, incredible timing with Microsoft buy out.

Ben (from Harrison) mentioned on IRC that this might be initiated by
Juce having their own VST2 API implementation.

23:08 < ben_at_harrison> JUCE might be the initiator of this action.
23:08 < ben_at_harrison> they became aware that JUCE uses an alternative
implementation ... and this causes problems ( some missing features etc )

> I am planning to contest the DCMA request. This will ideally happen with
> some legal counsel and support from Javier Serrano Polo who is the
> original (C) holder of the VeSTige header and reverse engineered the API.

As someone who hates this kind of things, I wish you good luck!
Please keep us informed on how it goes.

> Since Github requires action within 24 hours, I have meanwhile complied
> and force-pushed
> https://github.com/x42/lv2vst/blob/master/include/aeffectx.h out of
> existence.

Do you think renaming aeffectx.h will be enough?
It is their API, which they might feel entitled to sue over.
(which of course is BS, APIs should not work like that, but what can we
do anyway)

> I have no idea why Steinberg would target this rather low profile
> project, but there you go.

Likely because of the name. lv2vst sounds "dangerous" :P

Sadly, if they insist on this, it will only be trouble for opensource
applications.
Ardour, Qtractor, Carla, MusE, LMMS and others all use this vestige
header... making it "illegal" would mean our beloved tools will simply
drop VST support.

This is now how they convince developers to change to VST3 at all...
rather, just makes me want to remove all VST related things from my
system, damn bastards.