[LAD] LAM

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Wed Nov 21 02:37:40 CET 2018

On 11/20/2018 07:42 PM, drew Roberts wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 4:45 PM Tim <termtech at rogers.com
> <mailto:termtech at rogers.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 11/18/2018 03:22 AM, Will Godfrey wrote:
>      > Linux Audio Music has been dormant for a very long time, but
>     recently I
>      > contacted the the person who hosted and ran it.
>
>   <snip>
>
>     I would like to suggest that contributors be strongly encouraged
>        to upload PROJECTS, not just finished songs.
>
> +1,+1,+1,...
>
>     This would be far more valuable to a Linux user and would warrant
>        the made with Linux tag.
>     Users could download projects for Ardour, QTractor, MusE and so on.
>     They could learn not just what the finished song sounds like,
>        but actually how it was made and how to accomplish composition,
>        arrangements, mixing, engineering, and so on.
>

> And if it gets too big... (for instance in the case of ardour and actual
> multitrack audio recording) at least a "cleaned up" project with all the
> unused takes removed etc. to make it a little easier to deal with.

Yeah, the "elephant in the room", literally.
Instead of one ~40MB uncompressed audio file it's now several
  ~40MB audio tracks even after unused takes and so on are removed.
And there's the project 'dependencies' - plugins and so on.
RPM, Deb anyone? He he. Strange word to use with music - 'dependencies'.
I once mentioned an idea to use an actual versioning system like git
  or cvs for MusE's undo/redo system and song file structure.
Users could 'share' projects like a program. It would remember
  all past 'commits and pushes' to the song. Like the NON- apps family.

FLAC compression or similar might help with the storage.
Although, it makes it awkward to have to download and uncompress first.
MusE will read FLAC files and (I think) write to them again.
Not sure how other apps deal with compression.

Various projects might be scattered across the 'net.
It might be good to house them, or link to them,
  on the site along with finished songs too.

Tim.