[LAD] ?==?utf-8?q? Potential MIDI headaches?

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Sun Jan 20 00:12:09 CET 2019

Am Samstag, 19. Januar 2019 23:40 CET, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> schrieb:

> Cool. I do wonder where the sample sets are that actually have 127 samples
> per note.

No, those people don't use samples - we are talking full-size grand pianos here.
Those Disklaviers record and play back performances on actual concert instruments.
Think of it as a digital version of a Welte-Mignon player piano (the company has it's origins
here in Freiburg/Germany). The local museum does regular concerts with roles recorded by
famous soloist/composers from the first half of the last century.
IIRC the velocity resolution on those roles is higher than the 7 bits used by midi.

> Certainly Pianoteq might have a full range but most of the
> electric pianos I have heard sound more like in "Bennie" than anything
> that actually came from strings. I am talking about the people who walk
> into a music store and buy an electric piano or other stage keyboard.
>
> Now any of those people would prefer to sit down in front of an acoustic
> piano, but none of them can afford (or are willing to afford) an electric
> stage/home piano which actually sounds real. Remember that "most" people
> would never think about using a keyboard controller to get sound from
> their computer.

???

> In the case of keyboard synth combinations, where the signal path is
> kb->midi->internal synth. MIDI 2 may show some improvements that even the
> average person will notice. In time such an instrument may even be cheap
> enough for "most" people. However, it seems to me that the synth in the
> pianos I have seen does not even fully use the 128 velocity values
> available now.

IIRC the Roli keyboards have better resolution and those are used quite often for
contemporary music performance.
 Some Casio E-Pianos seem to have high-resolution velocity values (14 bit), see
https://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/008/PX760_860_1500_160_AP260_460_MIDI_E_EN.pdf

> In terms of velocity vs. amplitude I would guess that 127 levels at 1db
> per level covers more than most ADC's would show. At .5db per level the
> range is still probably wider than the dynamic range available in a nice
> quiet studio/sound stage... so I would hope that the range of timbre
> differences makes a wider range of velocities worth while. I would like to
> see a blind AB test where the same performance is rendered by the same
> synth in both MIDI 1 and MIDI 2.

Not what our piano teachers say ;-)

Cheers, RalfD