[LAD] Potential MIDI headaches?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Jan 20 03:31:29 CET 2019

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019, Ralf Mattes wrote:

>> In terms of velocity vs. amplitude I would guess that 127 levels at 1db
>> per level covers more than most ADC's would show. At .5db per level the
>> range is still probably wider than the dynamic range available in a nice
>> quiet studio/sound stage... so I would hope that the range of timbre
>> differences makes a wider range of velocities worth while. I would like to
>> see a blind AB test where the same performance is rendered by the same
>> synth in both MIDI 1 and MIDI 2.
>
> Not what our piano teachers say ;-)

I believe you... That is hardly blind AB testing though. Mr. young tells
us that remastering to 24bits/192k will bring out things in his earlier
recordings originally recorded on tape too.

What I find interesting (funny) is that the one thing in MIDI 2 that would
make the least difference to someone's performance is the one thing people
want. The good things about MIDI2 in my mind are things like being able to
have an untempered or variable scale. Being able to pitch change each
note separately. Having many more CCs. Just to name a few. Guitar to MIDI
can make good use of it. Some of the new stick like controllers might do
well too. But keyboards? subtle at best I think.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net