[LAD] Potential MIDI headaches?

Will J Godfrey WillGodfrey at musically.me.uk
Sun Jan 20 10:41:00 CET 2019

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 21:39:59 +0000
Will J Godfrey <WillGodfrey at musically.me.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 13:26:55 -0800 (PST)
>Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
><snip>
>>In fact MIDI 2 seems to be a thing mostly for non-kb instruments or computer
>>generated material (most of which is probably using CV instead of MIDI anyway).
>>
>>MIDI 1 was huge, My DX7 supported MIDI before the spec was complete. It is easy
>>to show off in the music store and sell. I expect the switch to MIDI 2 will be
>>a much longer road, very hard to show off from a keyboard.
>>
>>Well thats my opinion anyway.
>>
>>--
>>Len Ovens
>>www.ovenwerks.net
>
>More details
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDyXDeLbmeE
>
>I watched this earlier. It seems the MMA have indeed done their homework. MIDI
>1.0 is definitely not going away. The new system will be fully backward
>compatible, and will negotiate for the improvements, falling back to 1.0 if no
>response is seen.

Following on, I think our biggest problem is going to be actually getting the
data into a computer. I can't imagine a practical way either ALSA or JACK can
be modified to accept it.

OSC would only work if the data source was sending it, otherwise you'd still
need a translation level within the machine (in which case you might as well
work with the protocol directly). The big synth names are not likely to put any
effort into OSC support, as they have already thrown their hats in for MIDI 2.
I was actually surprised that the MMA managed to get both Apple and Microsoft on
board.

I've now watched that vid. a second time (very much recommend looking at it if
you haven't already) and I'm even more impressed with the way they've designed
the new extensions. Also, to some degree they've split the more 'engineering'
aspects away from the more musician/performance focused ones.

My guess is we've got about 2 years to get up to speed before source instruments
become mainstream. Although I'd like to be involved myself, I really don't think
I've the skills to add anything useful :(

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.