[LAD] jack meterbridge 0.9.2 update / maintenance

Stephan Bourgeois stephanb2 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 29 20:21:39 CEST 2019

Hi there,

I have been tinkering with Steve Harris' meterbridge 0.9.2 for jack.
cf. https://github.com/stephanb2/jack-meterbridge

1. Refactored global variables so that the code builds on Debian 9.2.
2. Improved (?) the dpm IEC scale and ballistics.
3. Changed the PPM ballistics to use Fons Adriaensen's JMeters algorithm.

I do however have a deeper question: what is the point of jack meterbridge?
Given that the broadcast and podcast industry has moved to EBU-R128 and
Ebumeter offers EBU R-128 metering. JMeters offers "nostalgia" PPM and VU
meters with correct ballistics, more options, better graphics. The only
thing missing would be a 4x oversampling true peak meter.

Should meterbridge be maintained or should another metering app de bundled
with jack?

Note that I am not a C engineer, my background is Java and Python. Please
send code review comments and shout if you see anything horrific.

Let me know your thoughts.
Cheers,
Stephan.

--