[LAD] WIP, RFC: jack2_split

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Jul 23 14:16:29 CEST 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 01:30:29PM +0200, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:

> jack2_split breaks the serial dependency by registering two jack clients
> which respectively only have terminal input and output ports. It copies
> the buffers from its inputs to its outputs after the current process
> cycle. This introduces one additional period of latency into the graph,
> but allows jack2/jackdmp to schedule A and B in parallel (e.g. on two
> cores).

A few comments:

* Doesn't jack2 have this built-in ? I seem to remember something called
  'loopback ports', but it has been some time...
  So you start jack2 with the required number of loopback ports, then
  connect A -> writable side of loopback ports, and readable side -> B.

* Since this is just a buffer, the '-split' name seems a bit misleading.

* I'm not convinced that the logic used in your current implementation
  will do the right thing in all cases (but I could be mistaken).
  The reliable way to organise this would be to use a dummy port in
  reverse direction on both clients and connect those.

Ciao,

--
FA