[LAD] WIP, RFC: jack2_split

Florian Paul Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Thu Jul 23 16:07:13 CEST 2020

Hi Fons,

thanks for your quick reply and insightful comments!

On 7/23/20 2:16 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> A few comments:
>
> * Doesn't jack2 have this built-in ? I seem to remember something called
>    'loopback ports', but it has been some time...
>    So you start jack2 with the required number of loopback ports, then
>    connect A -> writable side of loopback ports, and readable side -> B.

That would make some sense. I saw the --loopback option on jack2's
commandline help, but didn't find it documented in the man page and
always wondered about its semantics. When I wrote this little tool I
completely forgot about --loopback though :)

> * Since this is just a buffer, the '-split' name seems a bit misleading.

I didn't come up with a better name yet. I'll look into the loopback
ports. If those do precisely what I want then looking for a better name
is moot anywys.

> * I'm not convinced that the logic used in your current implementation
>    will do the right thing in all cases (but I could be mistaken).

I'm not convinced either SMP code is hard. But I *almost* convinced
myself that with sequential consistency for both loads and stores it
should work out.

>    The reliable way to organise this would be to use a dummy port in
>    reverse direction on both clients and connect those.

OK..

Thanks again and

regards,
FPS