[LAD] Looking for interested developer - TonePrint editor & TC Electronic Plethora X5

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed May 27 01:57:14 CEST 2020

Hello,
   TC Electronic has a lot of pedals that use their toneprint technology.
They have recently released a new device called the Plethora X5 which slots
5 TC pedal 'models' into a single virtual 'board' and supports 128 'boards'
stored in the Plethora. Visit YouTube for a plethora (sorry) of videos on
the device over the last couple of months.

   I purchased one of these devices. It works well (so far). It's Linux
internally running 4.9.47-rt37.

   Sadly there are a couple of rather disappointing issues:

1) Nothing new but TC doesn't support Linux with their TonePrint editor. I
see some reports of users running the app with Wine but I cannot be
bothered to do that so I'm using it on a Win10 laptop where my excessive
Native Instruments investments reside. This is manageable but not
preferable for me.

2) The biggest issue - there is apparently no way to back up your settings
which reside in the Plethora X5. The TonePrint editor communicates with the
Plethora over USB or BlueTooth but apparently acting as little more than a
monitor. You can create and edit settings for each of the 5 pedal models
you are running in a single board but it seems the only way to store them
is in the Plethora itself. My (very limited) initial investigation leads me
to believe that there are no data files left on the Windows machine and all
data is only in the Plethora X5. Therefore, be it fire, theft or accident,
if something goes wrong with your Plethora all of your personally created
sounds are lost. (I'm waiting for confirmation of this from TC Electronic
but so far I cannot see why this wouldn't be true.)

  Anyway, I'm not a coder but I am technical. If there's someone out there
with an interest of working on some sort of Linux TonePrint support please
get in touch.

Cheers,
Mark Knecht
markknecht at gmail.com