[LAD] Looking for interested developer - TonePrint editor & TC Electronic Plethora X5

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Thu May 28 13:31:19 CEST 2020

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 04:57:14PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I purchased [a TC Electronic Plethora X5]. It works well (so far).
> It's Linux internally running 4.9.47-rt37.

I'm curious: how do you know which kernel your Plethora X5 uses?

Also, do you know which microprocessor(s)/FPGA(s) the Plethora X5 uses?

I'm partly asking because I wonder if the X5 might be able to run
software from Mod Devices or vice versa.  Mod Devices makes ARM-based
multi-FX guitar pedals that run Linux: akin to the X5 but using
LADSPA/LV2 plugins instead of TonePrint ones: https://moddevices.com

Finally, do you know if TC Electronic has published any of the source
code relevant to the Plethora X5?  If they are distributing GPL'ed
software (e.g. as X5 firmware updates), then they may need to publish it
by law.  See for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl-violations.org#Notable_victories

Access to the source code would make it easier for developers to enhance
the X5's functionality and to fix shortcomings like the one you describe
below.

> The biggest issue - there is apparently no way to back up your
> settings which reside in the Plethora X5. The TonePrint editor
> communicates with the Plethora over USB or BlueTooth but apparently
> acting as little more than a monitor. You can create and edit settings
> for each of the 5 pedal models you are running in a single board but
> it seems the only way to store them is in the Plethora itself. My
> (very limited) initial investigation leads me to believe that there
> are no data files left on the Windows machine and all data is only in
> the Plethora X5.

If you plug the Plethora X5 into a Linux box via USB, how does it
present itself to the host?

    # Run this on your GNU/Linux box with the X5 not connected:
    lsusb --tree > /tmp/lsusb_x5_disconnected.txt

    # Run this on your GNU/Linux with your X5 powered up and connected
    # to it via USB but everything else the same as above:
    lsusb --tree > /tmp/lsusb_x5_connected.txt

    # Copy the output of this command and paste it into a reply to this
    # email:
    diff /tmp/lsusb_x5_disconnected.txt /tmp/lsusb_x5_connected.txt

> Therefore, be it fire, theft or accident, if something goes wrong with
> your Plethora all of your personally created sounds are lost. (I'm
> waiting for confirmation of this from TC Electronic but so far I
> cannot see why this wouldn't be true.)

Please can you update this thread with TC Electronic's reply when you
receive it?

Thanks.

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.