[LAD] Looking for interested developer - TonePrint editor & TC Electronic Plethora X5

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:08:25 CEST 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 4:31 AM Sam Kuper <sampablokuper at posteo.net> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 04:57:14PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > I purchased [a TC Electronic Plethora X5]. It works well (so far).
> > It's Linux internally running 4.9.47-rt37.
>
> I'm curious: how do you know which kernel your Plethora X5 uses?

The front panel menu system:

Global->About->BSP-> Linux 4.9.47-rt37 2019-12-20.C23818C

Granted, I cannot prove that because it says the above that it's really
running Linux, but I'd guess it is.

> Also, do you know which microprocessor(s)/FPGA(s) the Plethora X5 uses?

No idea at this time. Also no idea about A/D & D/A.

In my mind the unit is essentially a 1 channel DAW that can handle 5
plugins as well as an insert bus that can be put anywhere in the chain.
Running plugin modules, be they LADSPA or whatever is more or less how I
see the design.

> I'm partly asking because I wonder if the X5 might be able to run
> software from Mod Devices or vice versa.  Mod Devices makes ARM-based
> multi-FX guitar pedals that run Linux: akin to the X5 but using
> LADSPA/LV2 plugins instead of TonePrint ones: https://moddevices.com
>
> Finally, do you know if TC Electronic has published any of the source
> code relevant to the Plethora X5?

<SNIP>

I haven't looked hard for any of that but I also haven't seen it in the
manual or on their website.

<SNIP>

> If you plug the Plethora X5 into a Linux box via USB, how does it
> present itself to the host?
>
>     # Run this on your GNU/Linux box with the X5 not connected:
>     lsusb --tree > /tmp/lsusb_x5_disconnected.txt
>
>     # Run this on your GNU/Linux with your X5 powered up and connected
>     # to it via USB but everything else the same as above:
>     lsusb --tree > /tmp/lsusb_x5_connected.txt
>
>     # Copy the output of this command and paste it into a reply to this
>     # email:
>     diff /tmp/lsusb_x5_disconnected.txt /tmp/lsusb_x5_connected.txt

mark at science:~$ diff /tmp/lsusb_x5_disconnected.txt
/tmp/lsusb_x5_connected.txt
10a11,13
>     |__ Port 2: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M
>     |__ Port 2: Dev 3, If 1, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M
>     |__ Port 2: Dev 3, If 2, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M
mark at science:~$

In Windows when you plug the device in your get a explorer window. Dropping
a firmware update into that window and power cycling does the firmware
upgrade automatically.

<SNIP>

A first response from TC Electronic via a moderator named 'TC-Mike' is that
the ability to backup the device is 'on the roadmap'.

I asked about general timeframe but have received no response.

Cheers,
Mark