[LAD] new-session-management on jackaudio.org

Nils Hilbricht nils at hilbricht.net
Sun Apr 4 23:29:54 CEST 2021

On 04/04/21 21:31, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

>Although I still don't understand what jackaudio.org has to do with the new(er)-session-management (aka "NSM fork") and why it is now moved from linuxaudio.org to jackaudio.org.

I am paraphrasing my answer from the LinuxMusiciansForum. I copied that before many messages were deleted, which was announced in advanced btw. and I believe was a good moderation move.

I moved the code from linuxaudio.org github to get peace for the people NOT involved in anything, that got dragged in. There was no "forced moved" from linuxaudio.org Github.

I already mentioned "bus factor reduction" in a still existing forum-post, so here is another ingredient in the hosting situation:

There are not many things everybody agrees on, but one is that it is better if everyone is using the same session management protocol (not server, not gui. If properly implemented these can be changed).

This needs 1) developer support and 2) user acceptance. Having the project hosted under an established brand helps that goal. This is not an "oopsie", this is not a "compromise". I want the best, most visible, most trusted place. Having it hosted on github linuxaudio.org or jackaudio shows that this is not a one man fringe project but something that is handled with care and sincerity.

Then somebody interjected with
>"Note that Non-Session-Manager (NSM) is explicitly designed without any dependency to JACK."

To which I responded:

And it still is. You can use it with ALSA only, no sound programs at all or PipeWire. And so it will remain.

That said, NSM in reality is the usual answer to "I have multiple JACK programs and connections. How can I save and restore them without doing it by hand every time". All NSM clients are JACK programs and the Non-SM API document handles JACK client names in great detail.

Please all remember, that we are just talking about a piece of software that starts programs and removes the burden of repeatedly drawing lines on a patchbay canvas.

Greetings,

Nils